California Code of Civil Procedure 2020.220
(a) Subject to subdivision (c) of Section 2020.410, service of a deposition subpoena shall be effected a sufficient time in advance of the deposition to provide the deponent a reasonable opportunity to locate and produce any designated business records, documents, and tangible things, as described in Article 4 (commencing with Section 2020.410), and, where personal attendance is commanded, a reasonable time to travel to the place of deposition.
(b) Any person may serve the subpoena by personal delivery of a copy of it as follows:
(1) If the deponent is a natural person, to that person.
(2) If the deponent is an organization, to any officer, director, custodian of records, or to any agent or employee authorized by the organization to accept service of a subpoena.
(c) Personal service of any deposition subpoena is effective to require all of the following of any deponent who is a resident of California at the time of service:
(1) Personal attendance and testimony, if the subpoena so specifies.
(2) Any specified production, inspection, testing, and sampling.
(3) The deponent’s attendance at a court session to consider any issue arising out of the deponent’s refusal to be sworn, or to answer any question, or to produce specified items, or to permit inspection or photocopying, if the subpoena so specifies, or specified testing and sampling of the items produced.
Source: CCP 2020.220